Post hier je "tweedehands" lessen!

Heb je iets te vragen over je techniek? Lastige muziektheorie? Wil je je kennis met het forum delen? Post het hier!
Plaats reactie
Lazy B.

Post hier je "tweedehands" lessen!

Bericht door Lazy B. »

Een topic onder de noemer "beter goed gepikt dan slecht verzonnen".

Dus post hier alle puike lessen die je op het internet vindt en ons niet wil onthouden. Wel netjes om even de bron te vermelden though!

Hier de mijne van Michael Manring, van Bass Player Online:
Fretless Intonation, Part 1
I get a lot of questions about intonation. I'm pretty happy about that, because in playing any fretless instrument, intonation is the challenge—and it's always nice when people ask the right questions. As anyone who has even dabbled with a fretless or upright will attest, playing the dang things in tune ain't easy. Not only is it physically difficult, but we're all used to hearing fretted bass, so intonation standards are high. Playing a fretless instrument takes commitment, and it's probably best to accept that you just won't be able to play a lot of things on a fretless that you can play on a fretted. Still, there are so many nuance possibilities on the fretless, so much room for color and expression, that the struggle—and even the occasional sour note—is well worth it.

Like so many musical skills, intonation is really about listening. We all have an inborn level of pitch sensitivity, and some are gifted (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with the almost supernatural ability we call "perfect pitch"—but virtually everyone can improve with practice. A good place to start is to train your ear to hear the acoustic phenomenon called "beating." This occurs when two tones of nearly identical pitch are played together; it's an audible modulation or pulsing at the rate of the difference between the notes' frequencies. If the notes are nearly in tune with each other (meaning the frequency difference is small), the beating will be slow; if the pitches are further apart the beating will be faster. Beating occurs because the two sound waves reinforce each other when their peaks align and cancel each other when they are out of phase. Beating is most clearly heard in two simple tones with the same timbre. This is why a common bass-tuning method is to compare one string's 5th-fret harmonic with the next-highest string's 7th-fret harmonic. It's also an excellent way to learn to hear beating.

A little beating is actually a pleasant sound—in fact, it's the basis for chorus and flange effects—but when beating gets faster the notes start to become dissonant. Try the 5th/7th-fret-harmonic tuning method and listen for when the beating starts to become displeasing. It's more important, though, to concentrate on getting the two notes exactly in tune with no beating at all. (Turn off all effects when you practice intonation so you're hearing as pure a tone as possible.) Once you're comfortable with this exercise, try playing the G at the D string's 5th "fret" (from here on let's use the term "place") simultaneously with the open G. The beating probably won't be as clear with these full tones as it is with harmonics, so take your time and listen to how the two tones interact.

Once you're comfortable hearing beating between unisons, move on to other intervals. Intonation has to do with the relationships between notes, so it's always best to practice intonation with some kind of reference. Your intonation might sound fine when you're playing single-note lines by yourself, but when you go to a gig and suddenly have to play with other musicians, it can be a very different story. It's not quite as easy to hear beating in intervals other than unisons, but if you take your time and listen carefully, you'll hear a pitch location where each interval sounds most in tune. Your pitch reference for practicing can be any number of things, but it should be something that's reliably in tune—if you spend all your time practicing to an out-of-tune piano, you'll get really good at playing out of tune!

If you have a friend willing to sit and play scales along with you on a fixed-pitch instrument (like piano or guitar) you're in luck—but I'll suggest a few other options. One of the simplest pitch references is using your open strings. Just as we used the open G as a reference for the D string's G, you can use it as a reference for practically any other note on your E, A, and D strings. Try allowing your G string to ring while you play all the other G's on your bass—the 3rd and 15th places on the E string, the 10th and 22nd places on the A string, and so on. Then play all sorts of G scales on your E, A, and D strings against the open G—major, minor, pentatonic, etc. Do this very slowly, and for each note, listen for the pitch location that sounds best against the open string. It can be hard to hear 2nds, 7ths, and their compounds, but the other intervals should have a place that really feels like "home." Try the same thing using each of your other open strings as the reference; then try tuning your strings to other notes to give you additional key references—for example, tune your G string to A, or your D string to C#. Open strings are always available as references, but the drawback is you can only practice your intonation on the remaining strings.

Eventually you can do these exercises with a metronome if you like, but it's good to spend some time concentrating just on pitch without worrying about time at all—that's hard enough!
onZ

Bericht door onZ »

Hier staan tussen de Chops voor gitaar ook hele leuke tussen voor de bas.
Chops From Hell
ropstop

Bericht door ropstop »

Vond dit ook wel een goede tip:

Okay, so last night you decided to stay in, take the phone off the hook, set up a comfortable practice area (complete with snacks and your favorite beverage within arm's reach), and really practice hard. The theme: New slap-and-pop grooves. Everything started well, as you quickly ran through the slap grooves you already knew, but then…Frustration! Disaster! Locusts! All of your "new" ideas just sounded like your old grooves. In a final act of frustration, you smashed your bass against the wall and then tried to think of a way to tell your landlord that your cat did it.

It's easy to fall into the trap of playing patterns. Whenever we learn a new technique, scale or Stanley Clarke riff, we memorize the fingering so we can play it faster and more fluidly. The problem arises when we can't break the bound our mind has created between the idea and the initial execution. Instead of slapping the same old octave funk pattern, you try to come up with a variation-and nothing comes to you. I know something like this has happened to you, and I know how frustrating it can be. That's why I came up with a method for breaking these patterns.

The idea for this method came to me after I had an incident much like the one described in the first paragraph. I was trying to write a new funk groove for a recording project, and everything that came out of my amp sounded just like everything else I had ever slapped. After an hour or so I decided to take a break, and I threw my bass down on the bed. (Yeah, like it was to blame for my lack of creativity. When I came back, I didn't realize that I had knocked my G string a whole step flat by tossing the bass. Without checking the tuning, I proceeded to play this dusty old funk groove that I always play…but something sounded new! The old pattern had a cool new sound! I was confused, because I could see my hands weren't doing anything new, but my amp was telling me a different story.

Pretty soon, I figured out that my G string was out of tune. Initially I bummed, because I don't like using alternate tunings-but then I came up with an idea. I recorded myself playing the "new" groove, re-tuned my bass, and then learned the groove off the tape. This forced my left hand to play outside of its comfortable pattern. What occurred next was an unexpected "domino effect": Because my hand was in a new position, other harmonic possibilities became available. To play those "new" notes, I had to change my right-hand slap-and-pop patterns, which gave me new rhythmic ideas. Pretty soon, with the help of a tuning mishap and my tape recorded, I had created a completely new groove!

After that night, I began using this method-which I now call "Changing Your Palette"-as part of my regular practice schedule. Whenever I find myself falling mindlessly into a pattern, out come the tuner and the tape recorder. If you want to try this for yourself, here are a few suggestions:

Make sure you retune to an actual note. If you accidentally tune to a quarter-step or some other "in-between" pitch, then it will be very hard to learn the new part off the tape when you return to standard tuning.
Right after you change the tuning, start recording. That way, you won't run the risk of missing any new ideas. From my experience, the really cool ideas usually happen within five minutes.
Don't tune too high. You could break a string or damage the neck-and I can smell a lawsuit a mile away.
Don't always retune to the same intervals. Why? Because that's a pattern!
Whenever I teach this concept, whether it's a clinic or at BIT, the students who try it always report that it's a useful tool for creative exploration. One thing I must stress, however, is that you should always return your bass to standard tuning when you are done. This prevents unusual stress on the neck. More important, if you don't retune, you won't help your hands to change their habits, and thus you will still be limited by old patterns.

So the next time you set up that comfortable practice area and are hoping to discover new grooves, save yourself some stress and try this method. Remember: When a painter finds that all of his work is starting to look alike, he buys some different-colored paints and changes his palette,

By Dale T ©1993, Musicplayer Network
Reprinted from the April 1993 issue of Bass Player Magazine
Reprinted with permission from Bass Player Magazine https://www.bassplayer.com
Ja toch?
fledder

Bericht door fledder »

Dag mensen van het basforum :wink:

Ik heb hier een site die zeeeeer nuttig. Dit zijn van die tips die het verschil maken tussen bassisten of echte bassisten!
het is vooral een site voor contrabas, maar er staan zeer nuttige algemene tips in!!!! dus schroom niet en word een echte bassist :yes:

https://www.baumgarten.nl/basles.html
hans

Bericht door hans »

Hé Fledder,

bedankt voor die websitelink, das een leuke zeg!

groet
Hans
Everybody was kung-fu fightin'......
arjan

Bericht door arjan »

sjongejonge, wat een fijne basleraar lijkt me dat. Hij gaat juist tegen alle dingen in die ik geleerd heb en waardoor ik nu nogal de draad kwijt ben met oefenen. Ik heb na een aantal lessen gelezen te hebben weer zin om te gaan oefenen. Iedereen zou dit moeten lezen!!
loves a big bASS

mijn insta
mijn facebook
Veel gear... lekker boeie
phlebiac

Bericht door phlebiac »

arjan schreef:sjongejonge, wat een fijne basleraar lijkt me dat. Hij gaat juist tegen alle dingen in die ik geleerd heb en waardoor ik nu nogal de draad kwijt ben met oefenen. Ik heb na een aantal lessen gelezen te hebben weer zin om te gaan oefenen. Iedereen zou dit moeten lezen!!
Het gaat ook over oefeningen met een contrabas... :roll:
arjan

Bericht door arjan »

Deze meneer heeft eerst basgitaar gespeeld dus ik denk dat zijn kennis daarop is gebaseerd, het blijft bruikbaar lijkt me. Maar doe ermee wat je wilt natuurlijk
Wat mij aanspreekt in zijn aanpak is misschien ook meer de manier hoe hij naar oefeningen kijkt en de psychologische kant daarvan.
loves a big bASS

mijn insta
mijn facebook
Veel gear... lekker boeie
Plaats reactie