Ampeg Micro VR vs PF350

Plaats hier reviews van bassen, versterkers, snaren, effecten etc.
Plaats reactie
HNZ

Ampeg Micro VR vs PF350

Bericht door HNZ »

Well, here it is, my A/B test of the Micro VR vs the PF350.

Afbeelding

I used my Sandberg PM4 for the test with the eq in neutral position and the blendknob in the middle.

(it's the lower bass in the picture)
Afbeelding

I hooked up two Ampeg 210 AV cabs.

First thing that strikes me is that the fan of the PF350 can hardly be heard, while the fan of the Micro VR is clearly audible. (not that it has ever bothered me)

I started with all knobs at 12.00 hrs, except the volume: At nine.
At this setting, the PF350's volume is way less than the Micro VR. The MV has a sound with more mids, while the PF is slightly warmer, rounder, but not less punchy.
It seems as if the PF covers a broader range of frequencies.
I'm a very happy user of the Micro VR and I cannot say which amp I like more at this stage; They both have their own appeal.
To get the PF sound and volume somewhat similar to the MV, I increased the volume to around 10.00 hrs and the mids to 13.00 hrs.

Second I switched the gain of both amps up to 15.00 hrs.
The MV is very loud and got a little more grit. The PF also got some grit in it's sound with this gain. It also got more volume and it's sound increased on character.

With the gain at 15.00 hrs, I switched the volume of both amps to 14.00 hrs.
The MV becomes louder, but the sound gets a bit resounding, somewhat over the top. The PF stays in the same spectrum as before, just somewhat louder and as it seems a bit more punchier.

My favourite settings on the MV are Bass at 14.00 hrs / Mid at 10.00 and Trebble at 10.00. So I switched the knobs to this with gain and volume at 12.00 hrs.
The MV sounds great to my ears at this settings. The PF is a bit more wooly, definitely warmer and rounder. When I turn its mids up to 12.00 hrs and increase the volume a bit, I get somewhat the same sound as the MV. Just a little more ehm... more. As if the PF covers a broader soundspectrum.

With these settings I increased the volume a few times untill 17.00 hrs (maximum).
After about 15.00/16.00 hrs the MV does not get significantly louder, just noisier and loses "grip on the sound" to my ears.
The PF however gets even better sounding and very loud. The volumeknob ads volume evenly untill its maximum.

Overall:
The Micro VR is and stays a wonderfull sounding amp. But at higher volumes it loses a bit grip on the sound, compared to the PF350. (I got no better way to describe it).
The PF350 covers a somewhat different spectrum of frequencies; A broader one I'd say. It's sound is richer, slightly warmer than the sound of the Micro VR and is best enjoyed at a somewhat higher volume.
In some ways the sound of the PF350 reminds me a bit of the Mesa Boogie Walkabout with its gain before noon.
The Walkabout also has a certain richness to its sound that the PF350 also has, but then with an Ampeg 'growl' added.
Both the MV and the PF have the specific "Ampegness" to their sound. Both sound great and I could only choose between the two with a specific use in mind.
I'd choose the MV over the PF when I'd buy an amp specifically for home, rehearsel and smaller venues.
But as soon as it gets a little louder; I think rehearsels and small to medium size venues, I probably choose the PF350 over the MV.

I'm very curious to find out what the PF sounds like with the PF cabs!

(EDIT: In het engels omdat de oorspronkelijke review voor Talkbass is geschreven en ik geen zin had 'm weer te vertalen, sorry - ehm: "het spijt mij"!)
Laatst gewijzigd door HNZ op 17 apr 2011, 00:13, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Thunder

Bericht door Thunder »

Schöne Geschichte! Ich denke, das PF350 ist mehr mein Ding, und eine 500-Version wäre ganz Geil gewezen. Sieht auch niedlich aus!
Ondanks zijn onbekendheid toch zo gewoon gebleven.
HNZ

Bericht door HNZ »

Thunder schreef:Schöne Geschichte! Ich denke, das PF350 ist mehr mein Ding, und eine 500-Version wäre ganz Geil gewezen. Sieht auch niedlich aus!
Ah, Monsieur Thundèr! Je crois que vous avez besoin de la PF500, parceque cet amplificateur as tellement cinq cent watt!
Thunder

Bericht door Thunder »

Qué?
HNZ

Bericht door HNZ »

Thunder schreef:Qué?
Dat je de PF500 mot hebbe omdat-ie vèfhonderd watt heb, maar dan op ze frans. :mrgreen:
Thunder

Bericht door Thunder »

:mrgreen:

Heb gisteravond even op youtube gekeken wat er van te vinden was. Klinkt best leuk die PF350. Mooi slapgeluid zit er in ook.
Plaats reactie